Maine
Steam Locomotives by City


Scroll down or click location on map to view photos


Updated 1/30/2006

Click here to see the complete list of
surviving steam locomotives in Maine by Wes Barris


All photos taken in 1998 by Richard Jenkins unless otherwise noted

Click on photos for larger image


Alna
Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington 9
Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington 0-4-4T no. 9 is perhaps the most historic of the surviving Maine 2-footers. Built in Maine by the Portland Locomotive Works, this 1891 Forney type served the Sandy River Railroad as their number 5, then Sandy River & Rangely Lakes as their number 6, and finally Kennebec Central as their number 4, before being sold to the original WW&F in 1933 and becoming their number 9. After the closure of the WW&F only a year later, no. 9 was sold to Mr. Frank Ramsdell, who moved her to his farm in Connecticut. She remained there until 1995 when Mr. Dale King, heir to the Ramsdell estate, loaned the engine to the WW&F Railway Museum in Alna, Maine. No. 9 holds the distinction of being the only surviving steam Locomotive of either the SR&RL, the most famous of the Maine two-foot lines, or the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington, as well as being the last surviving two-footer built by the Portland works. She is also the only surviving steam locomotive from Maine's two-foot common carrier lines that was not part of Ellis D. Atwood's Edaville collection. The WW&F Museum is in the process of re-laying track on a section of the original WW&F roadbed just north of Wiscasset. In 2000 the museum entered into a long-term lease agreement for this historic locomotive, and they are currently raising funds to restore her to steam. She is shown her on May 27, 2002.

Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington 10
This little 0-4-4 Forney was built in 1904 for sugar plantation service in Louisiana. Originally a 30" gauge engine, she was re-gauged and rebuilt along the lines of a Maine two-footer in 1958, for service on the Edaville Railroad in South Carver, Massachusetts as their no. 5. Too small for the heavy trains at Edaville, she went to work at Pleasure Island Park in Wakefield, Massachusetts, along with Monson Railroad no. 3, also from the Edaville collection. When Pleasure Island closed in 1969, no. 5 went back to Edaville for storage. When the majority of the historic equipment from Edaville went to the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum in Portland after Edaville closed in 1991, no. 5, not being an original Maine two-footer, was left behind. She was restored to steam in the mid 1990's during an aborted attempt to re-open Edaville, but when the park finally did re-open in 1999 it was again decided that this little plantation lokie was too small for their operations. She was sold to the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway Museum in Alna, Maine, and given the number 10, which would have been the next number in the original WW&F sequence. To date the museum has re-laid about a mile and a half of two-foot gauge track on the original WW&F roadbed, and no. 10 sees frequent use on both passenger and work trains. She is shown her on May 27, 2002.

Biddeford
1 (railroad unknown)
This little 2-truck shay was built by Lima in 1904.   She is on display on the side of on U.S. Highway 1 in Biddeford, Maine, and was last used as a billboard of sorts for Biddeford Station, a short-lived railroad attraction with a Great Northern Railway theme (unusual considering the GN never came within 1000 miles of Biddeford). A Great Northern dining car and caboose were displayed inside the station building,  as well as a large HO scale model railroad.   They also offered rides on a short two-foot gauge railroad,  pulled by a Plymouth diesel painted in Great Northern colors.


Boothbay
S. D. Warren Company 2
The Boothbay Railway Village is a museum featuring a collection of historic vehicles and buildings,  and a train ride on a 2-foot gauge railroad.   Maine once had an extensive network of "2-footers",  although most of the engines at the Boothbay Railway Village were imported from Germany.   However,  there are a couple of American-built engines here,  both on static display.   This 1895 Baldwin was built for the S. D. Warren Company,  and worked in their paper mill in Westbrook, Maine.   She now forms part of the sign at the entrance to the Railway Village parking lot.

Henschel 0-4-0Tng  (railroad unknown)
This 0-4-0T was pulling the train on the day of my visit,  in May, 1999.   She is one of four similar German locomotives at the Railway Village,  all of which were built by Henshel.   This one is the oldest,  dating back to 1913.

Henschel 0-4-0Tng  (railroad unknown)
Another Henschel 0-4-0T is on display behind the depot.   Although similar in design to the 1913 engine,  this engine and the other two Henschels were built between 1934 and 1939.

S. D. Warren Company 1
The other American locomotive at the Boothbay Railway Village is S. D. Warren Company no. 1,  displayed with a short train of historic 2-foot gauge cars.   The previous time I was here (in 1984) this locomotive had an old Ford gasoline engine mounted in her cab.   It looks like this has been removed,  or at least covered over.   A wooden box fills the cab interior where the backhead (and the gas engine) would have been.   The wood-sided tender is also an unusual addition - especially for a tank engine!

Henschel 0-4-0Tng  (railroad unknown)
Another Henschel 0-4-0T,  this one looks like she is stripped down for repairs.


Eagle Lake
Eagle Lake & West Branch 1(ex-Chicago Hammond & Western 109)
Deep in the woods of the Allagash Wilderness in northern Maine are two most unlikely survivors of the steam era, a pair of former main line locomotives that found second careers hauling logs on the Eagle Lake & West Branch railroad, and were left behind when the railroad ceased operations in 1933. EL&WB No. 1 is a 4-6-0 built by the Schenectady Locomotive works in 1897, originally as Chicago Hammond & Western No. 109. Soon, it became Indiana Harbor Belt No. 109. In 1912 it turned up as Potato Creek No. 8, followed by a stint on the Grasse River as No. 63, before being purchased by Edouard LaCroix for his Eagle Lake & West Branch Railroad in early 1927. Exposed to the elements since the engine house burned down around them decades ago, both of these locomotives have had stabilization work done on them in recent years by volunteers from the Allagash Alliance Group. No. 1 is seen here in June 1999, photo courtesy of The Allagash Alliance Group.

Eagle Lake & West Branch 2  (ex-Lake Shore & Michigan Southern 780)
EL & WB No. 2 was built by Brooks in 1901 for the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern, where it carried the number 780. Weighing 188,000 lb.and equiped with 63 inch drivers, it was soon at home on LS&MS hauling fast frieght. A handsome 2-8-0 with its typical Brooks slanted cylinders featuring piston valves operated by Stephenson valve gear set between the frames, this locomotive is far removed from your typical shortline logging locomotive. By 1927 LS&MS No. 780 had become New York Central No. 5780 and was running the rails in Ohio. With its water scoop removed it arrived on the EL&WB in January 1928. EL&WB No. 2 soon became the primary source of motive power while No. 1 was delegated as backup. On September 3, 1933 the locomotives were cooled down for the last time and the forest soon begain closing in. June 1999 photo courtesy of the Allagash Alliance Group


Portland
Bridgton & Saco River 8
For many years,  the largest collection of surviving Maine 2-footers could be found at the Edaville Railroad in South Carver, Massachusetts.   After Edaville closed down in 1991,  some of the locomotives and rolling stock returned to Maine to become part of the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad,  on the Portland waterfront.   One of these engines is the Bridgton & Saco River no. 8,  shown here on June 20, 1999.   This outside-framed 2-4-4T was built by Baldwin in 1924.   Sister engine no. 7 remained at Edaville until 2001 before finally joining the MNGRR collection in Portland.

Monson Railroad 3
Monson Railroad no. 3 was built by Vulcan in 1913.   These Forney-type tank engines were designed to run equally well in either direction,  and were ideally suited to Maine's 2-foot gauge lines.   The Monson Railroad was only six miles long,  and built primarily to haul stone.   This 0-4-4T served them for many years before moving to Edaville,  and finally to Portland as shown here on June 20, 1999.

Monson Railroad 4
Monson Railroad 0-4-4T no. 4,  like her sister no. 3,  is also a former Edaville engine.   She was built by Vulcan in 1918.   The Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad returned her to steam in 2001, and she is shown here in October of 2004.

Henschel 0-4-0Tng  (railroad unknown)
This German 0-4-0T was built by Henschel in 1935.   According to one of the volunteers I spoke to at the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad,  this engine is operable,  but only under reduced pressure.   She is shown here in May, 1999.


Rockport
"Rockport Railroad" 3  (railroad unknown)
This 3-foot gauge 0-4-0T is on display next to the ruins of an old lime kiln by the harbor in Rockport,  ME.   Although she was built by Vulcan Iron Works in 1928,  she is supposed to represent an engine similar to the ones that used to haul stone there from a nearby quarry around the turn of the century.   The engine seems to be in reasonably good shape (apart from some cracks in the smokebox front) and remarkably complete,  especially considering there's no fence around her.   However,  someone apparently thought she'd look better with a diamond stack!


Unity
Belfast & Moosehead Lake 1149  (ex-Swedish State Railways 1149)
The only operable standard gauge steam engine in Maine is 4-6-0 no. 1149,  imported from Sweden several years ago.   For many years,  Sweden (along with a few other European countries  -  especially those with extensive electrified railway systems) kept a large "strategic reserve" of steam locomotives for use in case of war or other emergencies.   A number of engines from the Swedish reserve were sold off in recent years,  and this one was brought to Maine to run excursions on the Belfast & Moosehead Lake R.R. out of Unity,  Maine.   She was built for the Swedish State Railways in 1913,  and is shown here in May, 1999.


Waterville
Maine Central 470
On June 13,  1954, Maine Central 4-6-2 no. 470 had the distinction of pulling the last scheduled steam passenger train on the Maine Central.   Today, she is one of only three surviving MEC steam locomotives,  and the only one still in Maine, displayed in a city park next to the railroad yard in Waterville.   Like many park engines, a harsh climate and years of deferred maintenance have not been kind to the 470, but a new group, the Friends of the 470 has recently formed to cosmetically restore this handsome Pacific.