Wisconsin
Steam Locomotives by City


Scroll down or click location on map to view photos


Updated 6/19/01

Click here to see the complete list of
surviving steam locomotives in Wisconsin by Wes Barris


Click on photos for larger image


Altoona
Soo Line 1003
Soo Line 2-8-2 no. 1003 is based in the roundhouse in Altoona, WI, but is shown here in Osceola.   The occasion was the Osceola &St. Croix Valley's "Steamfest in the Valley" on the weekend of August 1-2,  1998.   Built by ALCO's Schenectady works in 1913,  this L-1 class Mikado was donated to the city of Superior,  WI after retirement.   She was later removed from display for restoration to steam,  but the original restoration project fell through.   She sat for many years in Fraser Shipyards in Superior,  and then was stored next to a warehouse in the shadow of the ore docks in Duluth,  before the Wisconsin Railway Preservation Trust stepped in and completed her restoration in 1996.

Soo Line 2719
Soo Line H-23 class Pacific no. 2719 was built by ALCO Schenectady in 1923.   After her retirement in 1959,  she spent many years as a park engine in Eau Claire,  WI,  before being restored to steam in 1998.   She made her public debut on August 1,  in a Soo Line double-header with 1003,  on the ex-Soo Line rails of the Osceola & St. Croix Valley.   This shot was taken during one of the photo run-bys on that trip.   Both engines put on quite a show,  and it was great to be there to see and ride it!   Based in Altoona,  2719's excusrions take her to a variety of places around western Wisconsin.


Appleton
Soo Line 736
At the end of the steam era, the Soo Line seems to have been particularly generous with their Pacifics, with no fewer than seven of them going to parks and museums along the line. Of these, three are of class H-3, including this one, no. 736 in Telulah Park in Appleton, WI. She was built by ALCO's Schenectady works in 1913. She is shown on September 4, 1999 in this photo by George Thelen.


Ashland
Soo Line 950
Soo Line 2-10-0 no. 950 is on display next to the depot in Ashland,  WI.   This engine was built by Baldwin in 1900. She was originally built as a Vauclain compound, no. 600, and later rebuilt as a simple engine and renumbered. The city of Ashland was once an iron ore port,  and 950 was a dock switcher here.   The ore dock still stands today,  though it is no longer used.   This photo was taken in 1992. A roof has been built over the engine since then.


Chippewa Falls
Wissota Sand & Gravel 2
This little 0-4-0T was formerly owned by Wissota Sand & Gravel.   She is now on display in Irvine Park in Chippewa Falls.   The shelter over the engine also contains a number of other historical displays,  including a stationary steam engine from the nearby Leinenkugel's Brewery.


Edgerton
Henschel 0-4-0WT+Tng  (railroad unknown)
This German narrow gauge well tank engine was built by Henschel in 1944.   She now operates at the "Rock River Thresheree" in Edgerton, WI.   This engine has received a few embellishments to "Americanize" her,  including a tender,  a new cab,  and a diamond stack.   She is shown here on September 4, 1995.   Photo by George Thelen.


Fennimore
Godchaux Sugar 6
This narrow gauge 2-6-0 was built in 1907,  and was formerly owned by Godchaux Sugar.   The engine later spent a number of years on display at the Edaville Railroad in South Carver, Massachusetts.   She is now owned by the Fennimore Railway Historical Society,  and displayed in Fennimore, WI.   Photo by George Thelen,  September 1995.


Fond du Lac
Soo Line 2714
Soo Line H-22 class Pacific no. 2714 was built by ALCO Schenectady in 1914.   She is now on display in Lakeside Park,  Fond Du Lac, WI,  and is shown here on September 4, 1999.   Photo by George Thelen.


La Crosse
Chicago,  Burlington & Quincy 4000
Chicago,  Burlington & Quincy 4-6-4 no. 4000 was originally class S-4 no. 3002,  built by Baldwin in 1930.   In 1937 she was streamlined and re-numbered,  and designated class S-4a.   She was also given a name,  Aeolus ("Keeper of the Winds") and used as a stand-by engine for the Burlington's "Zephyrs".   The streamlined shrouding was removed in 1941,  but the 4000 number stayed.   One of five surviving CB&Q Hudsons,  she is now on display in Copeland Park in LaCrosse,  WI.   This photo was taken in 1991.


Ladysmith
Soo Line 1011
Soo Line L-2 class 2-8-2 no. 1011 is on display in Ladysmith, WI.   Nicknamed "Old Smokey",  no. 1011 was built by ALCO's Dunkirk works in 1920.   She is one of three surviving Soo Line Mikados.   Photo by George Thelen,  August, 1994.


Manitowoc
Soo Line 321
One of three surviving Soo Line 0-6-0's,  no. 321 also holds the distinction of being the the oldest surviving Soo Line steamer,  built by the Rhode Island Locomotive Works in 1887.   In her later years,  no. 321 was renumbered X90,  and her tender was replaced with side tanks for shop switching duties at the Soo Line's Shoreham shops in Minneapolis.   After retirement she went to Pinecrest Historic Village in Manitowoc, WI for preservation.   Although she is one of only a handful of remaining shop switchers in the country,  she has been given back her original identity as a tender engine for display.   She is shown on August 15, 1999 in this photo by George Thelen.   There is also a photo of this engine in service in her tank engine form on Graham Stockfeld's SOO LINE Photo Archive website.


Marshfield
Soo Line 2442
Soo Line no. 2442 is a class F-22 2-8-0,  built by ALCO Schenectady in 1911.   This engine was originally assigned to the Wisconsin Central,  which at the time was under lease to the Soo Line.   One of four surviving Soo 2-8-0's,  no. 2442 is now on display in Wildwood Park in Marshfield WI.   This photo was taken by George Thelen in August, 1994.


Stevens Point
Soo Line 2713
Soo Line (Wisconsin Central) H-21 class Pacific no. 2713 was built by ALCO Schenectady in 1913.   She is now on display in Depot Park,  Stevens Point, WI,  and is shown here on June 6, 1999.   Photo by George Thelen.


Tomahawk
MT&W 19
This attractive 2-6-0 is on display in Memorial Park,  Tomahawk, Wisconsin.   Photo by George Thelen,  August 20, 1994.